The Play is the Thing

While you will all (hopefully) be kicking up your heels and relaxing this weekend, I will be kicking off intensive rehearsals for an annual summer theatrical event: The Baltimore/D.C. Playwright's Festival.

Aye, the girl is a drama queen wannabe thespian.

I haven't even read the play yet, but I'm already so dreadfully nervous!

See, I neglected to mention that I suffer from the most severe stage fright.

Seriously, the physical and emotional breakdowns I experience before the curtain goes up (or even before the first rehearsals begin, as we're finding out tonight) probably make Barbra Streisand (a performer legendary for her stage fright) seem all cool, calm and collected before her concerts. (By the way, is she retired now? I can't keep track of everyone's "retirements," "final tour, really's!" and sudden, multiple comebacks.)

So why do I put myself through this misery?

Because I'm a masochist?

No, seriously. I do it, because always, after somehow managing to get on to the stage on my wobbly legs, the threatre gods seem to have mercy upon me and my imagination takes over to such an extent that I forget where I am (without forgetting my lines in the process, thank goodness!).

But please, don't take this as a sign that I'm even remotely good at this acting business, because I'm not. But I work hard, and time and experience and passion always seem to make it all okay in the end.

Passion being the key, of course.

Exit stage left.

Curtain.

Oh, and please don't tell me to break a leg, because I just might, "graceful" as I am!

Linda said:

Damn! OK...I wish you well. :)

i think I need to hook you up with a friend in Baltimore who's also into the thespian thing...:-) Check out the Mr. L-K link on my blogroll

Gretchen said:

I've only done theater a handful of times, but I really enjoyed it.

I prefer the Ballet when performing. I adore dancing and, much like you, I would get terrible stage fright prior to stepping on stage. Somehow, I always managed to perform my dances without screwing up and making a fool of myself.

Man I miss those days!

Maggie said:

ok, then merde - that's the ballet version of 'break a leg'.

Don't whistle in the theatre. (They used to use sailors for running the fly galleries - you might get a pipe dropped on your head).

No hats on beds (I don't know why)

Don't mention the name of the Scottish play (or if you do, you have to go outside, turn around 3 times and knock & ask permission to come back in).

I used to be in the biz myself - as an amateur actor and as a professional tech/stage manager. I miss it fiercely sometimes. However, I like the new income levels I have in the high tech world.

emily said:

Just don't say "Hamlet". The other actors will kick your ass. Just sayin'

Zinke said:

Thespian. Woah. Is that how you spell it? I thought is was spelled more like lesbian, with a "b." Hooked of Phonix worked for me! =)

No really, Good Luck! =)
I used to be in an impromptu skit group, in college. It was fun! There was always a huge rush right before going on stage!