May Day, Glorious Day

Over the past few days, I've been numbed by shock and flooded with relief, almost at the same time.

On Thursday night, mere minutes after the boy had left his weekly singing rehearsal, a tractor-trailer driver changed lanes without checking and sideswiped the boy's Camry. The boy said that it all happened so fast that he really did not know what had hit him.

The impact caused the right rear tyre to burst and the car went into several spins. When he finally came to a stop, the car was facing in the opposite direction, into oncoming traffic.

Luckily (and, considering how people normally tailgate, miraculously!) the rest of the traffic was far enough away to stop in time.

Luckily there were witnesses, including one of the guys who sings with the boy and who had left rehearsal just seconds after him. He immediately stopped to help.

Luckily my boy is a calm sort, because if he had panicked and jerked at the steering wheel, the car most certainly would've rolled over.

Luckily the truck driver stopped.

Luckily no one was injured.

As for the car, the damage is still being assessed, but honestly, this is the least of our worries. We are just so unbelievably grateful, because it could've been so much worse.

You see, in a chilling coincidence, just a few miles away and at almost exactly the same time as the boy's accident happened, another semi collided with another car. Heartbreakingly, the driver of that car didn't make it out alive.

I tend to get a bit melodramatic about these things, because in South Africa, I stood by as two boyfriends - one when I was in high school, and another when I was in college - were left comatose for weeks after almost being killed in road accidents. One was left disabled for life.

So I know exactly how lucky we are.

Please drive safely, everyone!

Bear said:

Yep. Trucks rule the roads here. They are accidents waiting to happen because they don't use a safe following distance. They can't stop on a dime like a car can. You hear about folks getting killed by truckers daily.

jm said:

salut red
jm

Truckies have been in the news a lot here lately becuause of heinous work conditions and expectations of management and deadlines that turn out to be just that for poor unsuspecting motorists. Scary... and if you top that off with apparently massive drug taking they indulge in to keep ahead of the game you get very nervous, very nervous indeed.

Very Glad the boy is in one piece.

Very Glad Indeed.

i'm glad to hear he's fine. *hug*

Red Dahling,
Talk about irony. The other accident that you mentioned. I was on the other side of the beltway right after it occurred. I saw it as I was on my way home it happened near my house.
I too am glad that the boy is doing fine.

miked said:

happy to hear your boy is safe after the horible ordeal. I send my warmest thoughts!

miked

Cherryflava said:

Sounds hectic Red.....glad everything is OK.

Helen said:

Luckily your boy is fine.

Luckily you are fine.

let's keep the luck quota filled up at your house. To keep you safe and all.

kat said:

yikes, that's scary. i'm glad your boy is ok!!

QC said:

SO glad everyone's all right!