Screwed

That would be what I am right around now... screwed.

And it's all mostly thanks to Ikea.

You see, it's now 3:50 AM on the east coast of the U.S., and as we are speaking, my sister is hurtling through the sky at... well, I'm too tired/lazy to know or look up how fast those South African Scareways planes fly across the Atlantic.

In any case, she'll be here in just a few hours, and I AM STILL PUTTING HER BEDROOM FURNITURE TOGETHER!

Oh, damn those Swedes and their Swedish efficiency! (I don't think I have Swedes among my three/four or now sometimes five (FIVE!) readers, but if I do... my gross generalisation excludes YOU of course!)

"Well, Red", I hear you murmur. "Why are you still putting her furniture together at this late stage?"

Oh, my dear readers, how little ye seem to recall of my awful habits! Don't you remember that I was born two weeks early (on this very day, in fact) and that I've since tried my damnest to catch up on all that leisure time in the womb that I'd missed out on by being 14 days early?

Well, I still haven't caught up on the lost sleep, that's why I might seem a bit slow to the rest of the world.

Anyway, back to those Swedes and their proudest export: their Ikea stores and its chirpy, do-it-yourself wares.

I've never claimed to like DIY projects. How-to books, yes, but that's entirely different.

Now look, I'll admit that I'm no novice to Ikea's furniture. I've been on a first-name basis with a few chairs named Jors (or was it Hork? I forget. Besides, after a while they all blur together in one's memory. A bit like ex-boyfriends, I suppose. Although I'll be quick to assure you that some of Ikea's chairs have more personality and spunk than a few of those boyfriends ever had!)

But still, tonight a friend and I were almost defeated by a bed named Malm. So we've decided that the Swedes definitely need more sun. They MUST be deprived of much needed oxygen or some essential vitamins during their dark, long winters.

Why else would they insist on explaining how you should put their furniture together by printing a manual without a single word in it? (Well, no words except for the name of your particular purchase. I think they're very proud of the fact that they pay someone to name their furniture.) Seriously, their instruction booklets are like the printed equivalent of charades. That is, if you are playing charades and you are the only sober person in the room.

I'll admit that they do a good job in their pictorial instructions, because most of the time it's relatively easy to decipher. But this time I was almost stumped, courtesy of two little pictures. One picture showed you the correct way of putting some parts together. Right next to it was the picture with the big X through it, telling you how NOT to put it together under any circumstances!

It looked EXACTLY the same as the other picture. (I'll provide evidence a bit later.)

Anyway, thanks to my very clever and capable friend, Malm is now standing, waiting patiently to provide comfort and rest to my jet-lagged sister.

And I'm happy to report that I don't have a single screw loose anymore!

Which is great news, especially considering that I'm older today than I have EVER been before.

Michelle said:

Happy Birthday! I'm starting to think it's a GOOD thing we don't have Ikea in South Africa, although I've wished we did in the very recent past... :)

Albie said:

Greetings from Cape Town. Really enjoy your blog - you'll have to up the readership by another one!

Cheers
Albie

emily said:

Happy Birthday!

Beth said:

Have the happiest of birthdays! It's good to know that you can win in the battle with the Swedish furniture.

Lovin' the new skin, btw.

OH, are you saying today's your BIRTHDAY??? HAPPY BIRTHDAY RED! to an awesome, great new year and lots of love, fun and greencards ;) *big b-day hug*

PS: the putting together is part of the IKEA-concept and fun, people. don't you get it??

have a GREAT time with your sister and i suppose we're gonna have to still be patient waiting for THAT NANNY-SAGA TO BE CONTINUED now that you have family over... *sigh*

Lisa said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DARLING!!!!!

I didn't realise your birthday was the day before mine! We must go book shopping one of these days!

I hope you have a WONDERFUL day, sweetie!

Annika said:

Yay Birthday! Yay new birthday layout! Yay IKEA instructions!

Sweety said:

Happy birthday!!!!

What better way to spend a special day like that, than playing with IKEA furniture? ;))

TimT said:

Well, happy birthday, from a fellow net nerd!

kat said:

happy, happy birthday dear red!! xoxoxoxo

kerri said:

Happy birthday to YOU!

Enjoy your day Red!

(By the way, I too dig the new digs.)

Red Dahling,
Happy,Happy,Joy, Joy!!!!!!!
Birthday Drinks are on me. And Lets's make it real so. I'm thirsty.

PS. Damn those Swedes and the whole do it yourself thing. Women shouldn't be putting furniture together. That's just crazy talk. That's what men are for.

ensurt said:

happy, happy birthday, RED!! I love it when my sister comes to visit, transatlantic flight and jet lag, I have been there.

Katie said:

Right now I'm staring at 8 half put together Egon dining room chairs from IKEA (I go to the College Park one). Evil Swedes! (Autumn sent me)

Happy Birthday and enjoy your visit with your sister!

mice said:

I am a sucker for the IKEA. I understand he is more wealthy than Bill Gates now. Bastard.

Anna said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I will admit I do love IKEA, I go whenever I can...mostly becuase it reminds me of how nice my house COULD be! I usually make one purchase everytime I go, but of he already in one piece variety!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGIAN!

Watookal said:

Red,
Your sis is hot and off-course, like you a GREAT personality! Get back from NY and write some more, like the new digs.
Mooi bly poplap!

Lisa said:

Hi, if you have MSN please add me and help me put my Malm together!!! I've been searching for further instructions online and all I find are horror stories.