Reality Bytes

Patience is an annoying, torturous, gratification-delaying, highly overrated virtue.

But patience DOES pay off... Eventually.

After another three month "visit" (sheesh, didn't ANYONE pay attention and get the hint when I went to the States for a quick jaunt and ended up staying there for NINE YEARS?) on my bro-in-law and sister's farm in Stellenbosch, I returned to my mom's house in the wild, hip, happening city of By George! (Located about four hours east of Cape Town.)

When I left here three months ago, I had no laptop, no job and the internet situation was DIRE (otherwise spelled like this: D-I-A-L-U-P.)

I returned with a freelance internet writing/editing job, a laptop (yes!) AND a high speed (yes, really, even by international standards) wireless internet connection.

The laptop virtually dropped from the sky and into my lap (which, come to think of it, is a rather excellent place for a laptop to land). It's beautiful, if a tad vintage and temperamental, but a recent expert opinion has revealed that, with careful handling, it ought to see me through for a while longer.

It contains a DVD-writer (so we're happy to report that at least one true writer is associated with the laptop!).

The data usage on the wireless connection is also capped (only if you have MEGA bucks and/or live in a large metropolis can you get uncapped internet in South Africa, but their twisted definition of "uncapped" and an "all you can eat broadband!" buffet still means you are allotted only 10 Gigs to send and receive data. Scary, isn't it?), but at least I don't have to pay per minute anymore and land into this kind of trouble!

So I'm hereby the proud owner of 500 measly Megabytes per month. Yes, per MONTH, folks. That was the amount I used up in like three seconds back in the civilised world.

But even though my wireless data card has turned out to be a greedy little sucker, already devouring up scary amounts of precious megabytes from my account limit (and I've only had it since Tuesday) despite the fact that I'm not streaming anything, or downloading anything (other than opening webpages) it's still fantastic because I don't have to use THEM.

So goodbye streaming radio and video!

And fare thee well, beloved music downloads!

But hello again beloved internet and blog! Brace yerselves, 'cause I'm back.

miked said:

Did you hear that? All around the internet world I could swear I heard a chorus of cheers!

Maybe I'm wrong, it could have just been from my cubical.

500 mb? ouch, I can do that in a day!

Tips on saving your precious bandwidth... try surfing without viewing photos. You can do this in the preferences option of your browser. It may not be fun, but it'll help.

SilverSabre said:

Hey you!!

Welcome Back!!! You have really really been missed!!

:) Im happy :)

SS

IITQ said:

Ha! Did you take my suggestion and get iBurst?

Annika said:

Oh, hooray!

Oh, the blessed relief. We have been missing you sorely!!!

Welcome back!

Marisa said:

Weloome back! And congrats on the job too!

Can't wait to hear more..

TimT said:

Reading Redsaid is like a two-hour lunch, such a long time between bytes!

Welcome back!

YAY! welcome back!

weheeeee, welcome back to the www, red. we missed ya!

Martin said:

It's good to welcome someone back for a change :-)

Nicely done, we need more Africans here, for good reasons!

Red Dahling,
I have missed you soooo much. Welcome Back.