Now I know why he never even TRIED getting to second base

Or actually, come to think of it, first base.

(But then again, this was during the ancient times when 'serious boyfriend' meant 'holding hands.' Or a humourless guy. Fortunately he wasn't the latter.)

Last night I found my high school boyfriend on Facebook. I was so excited, because he was the only guy I ever went out with who attended the same school* as I did. The rest of the poor sods who took me on back then were all extramural.

I wasn't sure if the person on Facebook was REALLY him (he had a picture up, but it was kind of small and besides, it has been a long time). And even if it turned out to be him, I wasn't sure if he would even remember me, so I sent him an ''is this really YOU?" e-mail.

Turns out it IS him! I know this because he obviously e-mailed me back. He is alive and well and lives not all that far away from me with a menagerie of animals (no labs though, but I won't hold it against him)... and..?

A BOYFRIEND.

Yes, my high school sweetheart is gay.

Which either means that he couldn't bear to be with another woman ever again after me, or - and this is far more likely - he couldn't bear to be with another woman ever again BECAUSE of me...

So now that you all know what we didn't do... what DID we do? We held hands at the movies; we wrote each other frightfully artistic letters (at least his were... and I wrongly thought mine was too!) which we stealthy exchanged in class; I giggled like a nervous hyena whenever he was around; and he performed his incredible musical compositions for me. (At 16 or thereabouts, the dude won an international contest with a score he had composed for a full orchestra! Yes, I dated a modern Mozart.)

*The fact that my high school was a performing arts school where most of the boys in attendance were as straight as Lombard Street in San Fransisco, probably should have been my first clue. Not to mention the never-even-getting-to-first-base part. Still, I was melodramatically crushed when the 'relationship' was over.

that IS pretty cool. and come on, don't blame yourself. you don't know who or how many other women he saw after you and as we all know it's the parents' "fault" anyways. that's what i told my sister when she gave my nephew a toy-vaccuum cleaner for his third birthday anyway... ;)

PS: you better find me on facebook and make me your friend! :)

miked said:

ohhhh a glimse into red's past.... how exciting! *pulls chair closer*

tell us more!

and yeah, ya gotta find me on facebook too!

mice said:

Badge of Honor

SilverSabre said:

hehe..

Dont feel too bad. one of my ex girlfriends is a certified lesbian :) And i was the last guy she went out with so the blame is squarely on me..sigh

Amy said:

Sadly I have several ex's who fall into the same category. Says something about me then doesn't it, I mean 1 is acceptible, 2 is strange but 4 or 5 is obviously the horror that getting past 1st base with me caused!

A

Calla said:

ooh! My huge high school crush ALSO turned out to be gay. So I'm not alone there, phew.

PS: email me what name you're under on Facebook, since I've given up blogging for Facebook anyway.

So what does it mean for my high school boyfriends that *I* turned out to be a big lesbo?

I hesitate to give most of them that much credit at all for the wonderful person I am today...

Although I'm sure for your high school sweetheart it was knowing that he would never find another woman like you that made him give up on women entirely.

redthaid said:

Kim and Miked: Found you guys! But I'll have you know, it took some SERIOUS Internet sleuthing on my part! Sorry to you both for subjecting you to my mug without prior warning!

Mice: You reckon? Is this a Badge of Honour I should wear Out and Proud?

Hey ho Silver: Oh, no! Not ANOTHER thing we have in common?!?

Amy: 4/5? REALLY?!? You HARLOT! Ha ha. Never mind that they all turned out gay... they all got past 1st base with you! Oh, you liberated woman! By the way, I'll let you know if/when I find a good gaydar repair place. Not that YOU need it anymore!

Calla: Wow, we should start a club! Oh my word... Facebook is So Much Fun! (But then again, this is coming from a girl who is so easily amused, she laughs at her own jokes. And sadly? Most of the time she is the only one who does!) I hope you won't stop blogging altogether though?

Martha: They absolutely deserve no credit, no! It's all you! As for your sexual orientation? You've simply wised up. Personally, I think I'm just done with this love thing altogether. From now on, my heart will be reserved only for Labrador Retrievers!

ChewTheCud said:

Well it seems you were good enough for a gay. That's probably a plus.

Mark said:

If you couldn't make him do anything more than hold hands, he was BORN gay, sweetie!

Now go try to make him switch teams!

:oD>

SilverSabre said:

Hehe I know..its becoming a bit scary :)

You wouldnt happen to enjoy hiking and stuff would you?

Roadtrips?

Aircraft??

SS

Cat said:

I had the same problem with my high school boyfriend. Seems like a rite of passage for both our sides. :) Btw, we used to comment on each other's blogs way back in the day before I fell off the wagon. But it's been a few years. So glad to see you are still going strong!!