Question: Fame without fortune?

What would YOU do in the following situation?

Say a major international magazine (both online and print) offered you a blogging gig - at no pay - do you take it?

They are promising "Major exposure."

Please tell me, oh phantom readers!

After 12 hours (yes, I am counting!) of NO COMMENTS, updated to say: Seeing that the phantom readers aren't coming through for me, please tell me, oh real readers!! Please, please I need to give them an answer soon and I really don't know what to do!

Among 'real life' family and friends, the tally thus far is: 10 CONDITIONAL Ayes. Three No Pay No Work, definite Nays!

Dave said:

Hmmm, no pay? Will this be like a part-time gig or something you do in your spare time after your full-time? If so, hell's yeah.

However, if this is for a full-time position and you're not getting pay or benefits, hell no.

redsaid said:

Dave, thank you!

No, I get to keep my other writing job. This is strictly spare time, yes. I should probably make a few things clear (like exactly what they expect of me) before I commit so that it doesn't become an all-consuming monster (like me!), don't you think?

Dave said:

Haha! Why yes!

Oh yeah, there's nothing wrong with doing something you already love and getting even more famous while doing it! My only question to them would be if they expect you to maintain a certain amount of readership and what it all entails. Either way much kudos your way for hopefully landing this sweet gig! :)

Maretha said:

Yes, yes, YES!!! Go for it. Well, you've been in the business for longer so I assume that you have more to gain/lose/think about. But for a rookie like me, exposure like this is fabtastic.
Ek dink jou blog is fantasties, Ek lees so stadig maar seker deur al jou posts en dis so interessant, snaaks, oulik - jy is op pad na fame en fortune, moenie ooit daaroor twyfel nie!

I say as long as there are clear definitions of the work you're doing (and not doing) and it's not a forever thing you should definitely go for it...

Zoot said:

hell yeah! and if you don't want it, I do!