Satellite made the radio star

My real name - that one that I have loathed and despised since birth - was just mispronounced live on an XM and Worldspace Satellite Radio station which can be heard live around almost the entire world.

Does a sort of mispronunciation mean that I am famous? Or does it detract from the fame?

What if the DJ gets your gender wrong? What does THAT do to the fame factor?

The station in question is UPop and I've been listening to them on my Worldspace Satellite Radio (thank you again, Web AddiCT(s)! It is honestly the gift that keeps on giving.)

About an hour ago, while poking around on the Worldspace site online, I found the station and when I heard that they were broadcasting live from my beloved D.C., I immediately e-mailed them:

"Hey there,

Just want to give a shout out from Stellenbosch - a college town in the heart of the South African wine country near Cape Town - where I am listening to you on Worldspace.

I lived in and near Washington, D.C . for nine years until the end of 2005, so it helps to stifle the homesickness I so often feel for D.C. when I listen to you guys.

Keep up the great work!" -- Yes, I know, I know. I am SUCH a sad nerd, e-mailing radio stations.

Then I proceeded to sign off with my real name, and the usual primer for English-speakers of how it is pronounced and what English name it should rather be translated to. (I used to get so sick of filling out my name on forms when I lived in the States, because I always had to add "pronounce as" in parentheses.)

I didn't add a request, so I didn't think I would hear anything from them. So I carry on working, listening to the music and to the DJ, Ted Kelly, chatting about what they will be up to in D.C. this weekend, and suddenly he says my name... Or well, kind of.

He actually said: "I hope I'm pronouncing this right." And then he SPELLED IT OUT and continued: "HE is listening to us from Stellenbosch in South Africa on Worldspace..."

By that time I was roaring with laughter. He continued to read the rest of my mail on air (about being in Stellies, and having lived in D.C.) and then said: "Hopefully he will send us his number so that we can call him and chat some more about South Africa and about his time in D.C. on the air next week some time."

When I open my mail a few minutes later, there is an e-mail from them:
"Hey there (Hideous Real Name), glad to have you listening. When you get back to DC visit us in the studio! Hey send us your tele # and we will give you a call next week on air. Always love to chat with our listeners! Ted Kelly."

When I wrote back to send my number, I added: "Thank you! I just heard you chatting to me and about me on air! What a thrill!

And well done on the pronunciation of my name. Not bad at all! But as I've said, it translates to ****** in English. Which makes me female, Mr. Ted Kelly! You are forgiven though for calling me 'he' on the air. My parents, however, will never be for giving me such a hideous name. Which isn't even all that common in South Africa either."

Minutes later, I receive this: "Well Ms. (English translation of my name added here in all caps), didn't want to make the assumption just based upon pronunciation....glad to have you as a listener. If it alrigth (sic) we will call you Monday around this time... Have a great weekend...! Tell your parents sorry for the gender confusion! Ha. Talk soon!"

So if you have XM/Worldspace and you want to hear my awful, not-radio-friendly-at-all-voice, just tune in to UPop on Monday!

P.S. How sad is my life that this is considered a highlight?

SilverSabre said:

Well done !! Live on international Radio baby!! No hyperventilating you hear!

Mwah!!

miked said:

I don't have XM, I'm a Sirus subscriber so I'm SOL... otherwise I'd love to listen to my blog friend from SA :)

You're so famous!

oh come on, your name can't be that bad... and hey, you are gonna be on the radio. that's pretty cool. you should tape it and send it to me so i can hear your voice. i always love hearing a voice of someone i've only been reading (for years). [/crazystalkerlikecomment] :)

Claudia said:

Waaa is jy dolla

Your name soooooo isn't that bad... It's unique among all my friends.

Mine isn't so unique... there are 2 of us on facebook... and by that I mean first AND last name...

Trippy... bet you're the only one of YOU.

miguel said:

Cool stuff :) You gonna be a radio celebrity.

I also have a little trouble with people pronouncing my name sometimes, buy I don't mind, people get there close enough most times.

dave said:

Oh neat! That's great news you're going to be on Sat Radio! Alas, I do not have satellite radio so I will not be able to hear you, but I hope you have a blast on your interview!

One of the great things about having a unique name is that well, it's unique. If I look in the phone book now, there's at least 25 of me living in my area. :(( There's even a few with the same middle initial as me too!

The Mac is fab, but there are a bunch of applications that we use at work that are windows only... hence the schizophrenic approach... poor Mac, am juicing up the RAM so it can cope... it hasn't been without its problems and truth is, there's a big part of me that would happily settle for a new juicy PC lappy with vista and Adobe Suite. It would certainly save money... we've already spent 4grand or more on the mac and there's a new OS out and new Office due next year. Madness.. We've got the same with Windows for around 2500

I've been a PC user for years and I'm mostly immune to Mac Style... mostly, Macs are great for the creative stuff but I get jaded by people in our org who choose them for the cool. Costs our tithers all that extra cash just to look cool. - then to spend another 200 just for a black one.

Bogus.

Truth is, I'm not so one eyed to be a hater of one platform or the other, both have their merits and being able to use both, especially in a web dev environment is aces.

Oh, that and it spins people out to see both at once... Love that part.

As for Lullaby... went stright to iTunes to by it. Totally love it, and yep, totally cried. Having a shit time at work... needed a good cry.

You're too sweet, nothing to be done but ride it out. Had a good chat to my boss today, have 2 days off and a weekend to get on top of my study.

All will be well, but the positive vibes are enormously beneficial... thanks babe.