Because this is my last day of putting the Three in Thirty-Three

| | Comments (10) | TrackBacks (0)
Since returning to South Africa two and a half years ago, I have been spending most of my Saturday nights exclusively with one guy.

WhadoyouMEAN "poor guy"?!?

The lucky (LUCKY, I tell you!) guy is my now 5-year old nephew.

One Saturday night last year, just before he turned four, I went over to my sister's to babysit him.

My brother-in-law and sister had taken to sneaking out of the house, because sitting him down and explaining to him why he couldn't go along to eat at the grown-up, boring restaurant where they serve the EXTREMELY gross food, simply turned into infinite and exhaustive debates. ("But you make me eat the gross food here." "No, but it is SO gross there at the restaurant, only the daddies eat it." Etc.) Which usually ended in tears. (Mostly my sister's. Yes, the mommies always seem to crack first!)

They quietly left while I distracted him with a toy. As soon as he heard the garage door open, he realised what was happening and began screaming his head off.

"WHERE ARE THEY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOING?" He angrily sobbed while flinging his tiny body against my legs.

Tears spilled from his big brown eyes and formed slick, jagged paths down his chubby cheeks. Dressed in his pajamas and clutching his raggedy toy lion, he was a heart-wrenching sight. I bent down and hugged him to my chest. Within seconds, my shoulder was soaked with his tears. "Shhhh, sweetie! It's okay, I'm here with you and I'm not going anywhere!" I tried to soothe him as I stroked the soft, baby curls on his head.

"Yes, I know," he said through his sobs, and just as I was smiling smugly at my super-human ability to comfort him, he wailed: "SO HOW COULD THEY LEAVE US KIDS HERE AT HOME ALL ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE?"

Of course, I'd like to think of that incident as a reflection of my youthful appearance and NOT my level of (im?)maturity.

And come tomorrow, I will proudly put the four in thirty-four!

0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Because this is my last day of putting the Three in Thirty-Three.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://www.redsaid.net/mt-tb.cgi/135

Annika said:

Birthday, birthday! Happy 34!

awwwwhhh.

happy birthday. You don't look a day over 40 ;)

So what do you want to be when you grow up ?

... taller perhaps?

OK enough of the very bad jokes. Have a great day

Terra said:

Hey, hey... it's already 'tomorrow' here, so happy birthday! I saw your (ahem) mug, and you don't look over 30 at all. Have a great day!

Po said:

wow, I think you should take it as a compliment, unless he thinks he has to babysit you! I am sure it is a sign of your youthful appearance however.

TimT said:

HAAAAAAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAAY!

Marco said:

Happy Birthday Red Delicious! I'm just one year head of you. Soooooooo overrated this thirties thing :-P

Hope you have a fantabulous day.

birthday happy

kyknoord said:

Many happy returns. You don't look a day over 32.

SilverSabre said:

White people! Please! Beat your Kids!

My daddy woulda taken none o that thar sass!

That being said, happy birfday :)

Deeleea said:

I don't believe I totally missed this.

Happy 'terribly belated' birthday!!!