In dog years we'd be having hot flashes

Six years ago today I woke up in a tiny rowhouse in Hampden, a quirky neighbourhood in the city of Baltimore. On that day, instead of simply rolling over and falling asleep again – as was my usual habit – I actually got up, ran to the computer, logged on and squealed with disbelief and delight when I saw this.

When I entered Emily’s Win-A-Blog contest, I never in a million years thought that I even had a remote chance of winning it. For some time, I had been quietly following her blog (which is now, sadly, defunct, because the girl is leading an offline life brimming with fullness, love and success). When she announced the contest, I merely took a shot because it was a way of reaching out to her, this fellow redhead who I had come to admire so much, without seeming like a complete stalker.

I don’t think Emily is aware of this, but at the time of the contest (and for a long time before that), I had been gripped by an ongoing, soul-sapping depression. When I wrote my three entries for the contest, it was the first time I had done any writing or anything remotely productive in ages.

But something about her contest managed to reignite a bit of a spark in me. After a long stretch of barely existing in a fog of monotony and constant malaise, I desperately needed something to look forward to again. That contest became it for me. And when I miraculously won, it also gave me a reason to get out of bed again. I am honestly not exaggerating when I say that this blog has quite possibly saved my life.

Little did I know back then how blogging would not only help to slowly usher me back into the land of the living, but what a huge role it also eventually ended up playing in helping me to actually earn a living as well.

Yesterday, in an e-mail (that was only just a tiny bit less sappy and sentimental than this post) to Emily, I wrote: “By the way, can you believe that redsaid.net will be SIX years old tomorrow!? I can't believe how many career opportunities that blog has brought me. Thanks to it (and you!), I'm now making a living as a freelance writer in online media and I’m also actually being paid to blog! So yes, chicka, I'll be forever grateful to you and that Win-A-Blog contest of yours.”

Despite my horrible neglect of it, I still love this blog as much as that first day I saw it. I’m still crushing on Joelle’s gorgeous design. I am still thrilled whenever I receive a comment. (If it hasn’t abated after six years, I think it’s safe to assume that the novelty will probably never wear off.) I’m also beyond thrilled that some of you, who have been here since that first day, have stuck around and that you still bother to read and even comment on my infrequent ramblings.

I know that real writers always say that they mostly write for themselves. But I am pretty sure that I would not have bothered to keep this up (even as sporadically as I have been) without any of you. So thank you very, very much.

P.S. Oh, and Dee? My blogging career would not be complete without me breaking yet more things in the template which made other somewhat important things disappear from the blog... Oh, and all my hot links seem to have changed from purple to bright blue!? So if you have a moment to spare, I would REALLY appreciate your help again please, oh Web Goddess Who Is Now A Qualified Mistress*! I PROMISE I will never ever try and tinker with your code EVER again! No, really. This time I mean it.

*She's a chick with a hot-off-the-printer Master's Degree, geddit?

0 TrackBacks

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: In dog years we'd be having hot flashes.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://www.redsaid.net/mt-tb.cgi/187

Deeleea Author Profile Page said:

Good Morning!

All fixed. The issue was that there was rather a lot of extraneous code in the entry due to having pasted in directly from word.

Word is the enemy.

If you're writing it up externally to MT, either type it into Word and the copy/paste into a text file (notepad or equivalent) or type directly into notepad and then paste into MT. That way your code is clean.

:) Six years? Congrats! I must be close to that too... crikey!!

Redsaid Author Profile Page said:

Dee: THANK YOU SO MUCH! You are way too overqualified now to be doing this stuff for me. I'm now even more in your debt.

terrashield said:

Congratulations, Red!!! :)

happy sixth anniversary :) xoxo

Redsaid Author Profile Page said:

Terra: Thank you so much! It's due to YOUR unfailing commenting that I keep on doing this. So everyone? Now you know who is largely to blame for this blog still clinging to life after such a long time!

Kim: And YOU! One of the people who was here in the beginning and STILL, for some reason I will NEVER grasp, continue to come back here. Danke schön, doll! I appreciate it very much!

kyknoord said:

I believe congratulations are in order. Did I miss the cake?

Redsaid Author Profile Page said:

Kyk: Congratulations are an order, yes. Oh, wait... that's not what you said, is it? Thank YOU too! I do remember that you also began reading (for whatEVER unbelievable reason) and commenting here while I still lived in the States. And with a name like Kyk, I should have known that you would be after the cake! There was cake, actually! (Thanks to my sweet sister.) I even have photographic evidence, but I didn't have my cable with me to load it. Probably a good thing, since I would probably have posted only half the picture, what with my great technological skill!